Monday 28 October 2013

'BRANDED' Me

I have this huge craze for branded clothes. Not the ordinary ones but biggies like Calvin Klein, Gucci, Ed Hardy, and Diesel.etc. It's not a big deal for people who are rich. But for me whose father is an ordinary shopkeeper owning 8000 bucks Calvin Klein t-shirt is really a big deal- a very big deal indeed.
It all started when my uncle gave me a Tommy Hilfiger shirt which he bought from U.S. It felt so nice; in fact it felt like heaven for me. I was no more on earth after that. I used to boast to my friends telling “guys it’s Tommy”. And they will come near me to touch it which I never allowed them to. I used to wait for his return every year. And he used to surprise with all new branded clothes. And my joy found no boundaries.
When I turned 18 he stopped coming to India and heard he and his family settled there. This left me in a very depressed state. I always used to admire me in all expensive clothes. My dad used to give me some 2500 bucks from his very hard earned money for a shirt only to make me happy. But I used to shout at him very badly demanding more money. One day I went to Tommy Hilfiger showroom in Bangalore and saw this beautiful white shirt. I have never seen a pure white shirt before. I wore that shirt and it felt very comfortable. I was in sky again. It was all for a few seconds and everything changed as soon as I saw the price tag. It was a whopping 12k. A shirt worth 2500 bucks itself is a very huge deal for a guy like me. So the 12k shirt was something I can't even dream of. But I dreamt about it. I thought how handsome I would be in that shirt. And all people in my college will turn their heads when I pass them. They'll talk about me "He's wearing a 12k shirt. He must be very rich". Wow. . It was a great feeling. I started to save money. Made money by giving my bike for rent. Went for part time job. I cancelled my lunch to save that money and starved. I worked at night. Three months went like that. I counted each every note and I was disappointed that I was only near to 8k. I counted again and again. But the result was the same. I was very depressed and went to bed without having dinner. After about an hour so I felt someone brushing my hair. I opened my eyes and saw my dad. He told me “son, I know you are saving money for a shirt which costs my three months income. Those types of clothing are for rich people like your uncle. We should know where we are. I don't say that you should not dream about such clothing. Actually you should but only after meeting your basic needs. The remaining money you need is there in the shelf. Go buy that shirt. But my son you should remember one thing never look up at those millionaires and think we are nothing, look down at those people who have nothing and you'll find you are already a millionaire. I love you my son." His voice had many emotions. Love, care, concern, affection. I thought of my dad, how he starved and made me have my stomach full, how much he loved me and what I gave him back was shouting at him, demanding things he cannot afford but he tried his best to get things with all he have. I hardly remember the last time he raised his voice at me. Somewhere in the middle of these thoughts I fell asleep. 
I woke up bit late and did my morning chores. I counted my savings again, took it and also the money from the shelf and left for Tommy Hilfiger showroom. As my bike is not in good condition I decided to walk. On the way for the first time in my life I looked around and saw people sleeping in footpath, children wearing clothes having a number of holes which are difficult to count, people eating from garbage. I realized how lucky I was. I have a home, my own room, and the most beautiful parents. I have everything compared to these people. I reached the showroom and wore that shirt. I looked at myself. This shirt costs my dad's 3 months income. I can go for a vacation with this money. I can buy dozens of ordinary clothes. I can do dozen other things with this money. I saw a shameless creature in that shirt. I removed that shirt, kept it in its place and came out of the showroom. The person who came out was an entirely different person. I invested the money in a small business. Earned living out of it. And I am in a good position now.
In my long run I realized one thing life isn't about how you personalize your outer appearance, it's about inner beauty. And I'll never forget my dad's words. “Never look up at those millionaires and think we are nothing, look down at those people who have nothing and you'll find you are already a millionaire."


2 comments:

  1. Good work for a beginner :) Hope to see more :D KUDOSS BROTHAA (Y)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowww ! MASHA ALLAH !! Awesomely written . Good job (Y) .

    ReplyDelete